Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Last Leg

The third quarter started about a month ago. I found out about a week ago that I was accepted to join a team with YWAM in Africa this summer. I’m still praying about it and working out details and I will send you more information as it comes together.

What To Do With Dirty Feet
I just returned from spring break and on my return I had an interesting conversation with a man angry at God and angry at the church.

Before I got on the plane I had prayed that God would open doors on my flight if he wanted to use me in someone’s life. When the man across the aisle started talking with me he eventually told me he hasn’t heard from God in years, and has lost his trust. His wife has turned from God. And he has noticed that the church is messed up, so he’s given up on the church. I encouraged him in the simplest way I knew and told him what I felt God put on my heart.

Later a thought came to mind, “Jesus washed the disciples’ feet!”

The church is not perfect, but Jesus set the example for believers in terms of the way we relate to a dysfunctional group of believers. We are not to tear it down, but to find ways to build it up. Our mindset should not be, “What church can I find for myself?” but rather, “God, where can I serve?” God can use anyone to humbly bring truth where it is lacking if they would only seek him and his kingdom first, to bring his Spirit and his love not just to neighborhoods, but to the groups of believers we participate with in simple ways.  

(Side note: I hurt for all the Christians out there who have been hurt by people in the church and I hope that they don’t judge God by the way imperfect people have treated them.)

The Last Leg
We’re on the last three months. Things are going well. We just finished Kings and Chronicles and continue to move forward. I can’t believe how fast it’s all gone. Over break I was able to do some teaching and participate/help with a few Bible studies, which was really good for me. I’m looking forward to the doors this training I am getting will open.

No comments:

Post a Comment